As the seasons start to change, it’s time we say farewell to summer and welcome the crisp air of fall. Although I’ll miss suntans and sandcastles and the other joys of summer, I’m excited for all of my favorite things about the fall season. I love when the leaves change colors, watching fall football games with family and friends and visiting local orchards to pick fresh apples. There’s no better way to kick-off the season than with a delicious and simple apple pie recipe. I added my own twist to this classic dessert by using Dunkin’ Donuts Coffee Cake Muffins for the pie crust and crumb topping. This recipe will have you asking for a second piece, I guarantee it!
• 3 Dunkin’ Donuts Coffee Cake Muffins (reserve 2 of the tops)
• 2 TBSP Butter, melted
• 2/3 Cup Sugar
• 3 TBSP Cornstarch
• 1 ¼ Cup Cold Water
• 4 Cups Diced and Peeled Granny Smith Apples
• 1 TSP Vanilla Extract
1. Cut Dunkin’ Donuts Coffee Cake Muffin tops off of muffins and reserve 2 of them.
2. In a large bowl crush remaining muffins until a fine crumb is reached. Add melted butter and stir to combine. Press mixture into a 9 inch pie pan pressing firmly (you can use another 9 inch pie pan to ensure the crust is even by placing the other pan on top of the crust and pressing down firmly).
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden and firm.
4. For filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water in a large saucepan until smooth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the apples and vanilla.
5. Pour filling into crust and crumble the muffin tops on top of the filling.
6. Bake for another 30 minutes at 325 degrees or until the crumble is golden brown.
7. Allow to cool and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
This recipe is easy to make and does not take long to bake! It’s the perfect dessert to whip up for your family Sunday dinner or to bring to your next party.