From Dunkin’ inspired graduation caps to Halloween costumes to custom treats, we love seeing the creative ways our fans express their Dunkin’ love with DIY projects. To help celebrate those fans, we recently introduced a new IGTV series, Dunkin’ DIY, where we’re sharing our favorite, Dunkin’ themed DIY projects with you weekly. The next creation comes from Boston-based Lizzie Johnson of Lizzie’s Bakery: a Dunkin’ inspired cake!
To see how Lizzie brought this beautiful creation to life, check out the decorating process from start to finish on IGTV here. According to Lizzie, the cake took about two hours to make, featuring two tiers of donut-donned deliciousness. She started by baking a chocolate cake in four- and six-inch pans, then froze them overnight. She then made a vanilla American buttercream, which she used for the base layer of frosting. To achieve Dunkin’s iconic colors, she used electric orange and pink food coloring, adding electric purple for an extra pop of color. She then spent the next 30 minutes piping the frosting to create a playful design. Lizzie told us that just like Dunkin’s brand personality, her cakes always include an element of fun. Finally, she topped it off with our MUNCHKINS® donut hole treats, and colorful Chocolate and Strawberry Frosted Donuts with Sprinkles.
As a Boston resident and brand fan herself, this wasn’t the first time that Lizzie made a Dunkin’ inspired cake. Most recently, Lizzie made a cake for a friend who was celebrating her baby’s first birthday. As a Dunkin’ lover, the friend shared progress pictures of the baby every month, denoting her age with our donuts. So, it only made sense to make her a Dunkin’ themed cake to celebrate the milestone.
Are you interested in making a delicious cake of your own at home? Check out Lizzie’s recipes below!
One Bowl Chocolate Cake Recipe:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine sugar, flour, dark chocolate cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, and add eggs, vanilla, vegetable oil, and whole milk.
- Use an electric hand mixer to combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Add hot water to your mixture and mix until combined (it will be a very runny batter!).
- Fill the pans of your choice with the cake batter. To create the same size cake as Lizzie’s, fill three six-inch, circular pans and two four-inch, circular pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Wait for the cake to cool completely before stacking the layers.
Vanilla American Buttercream Recipe:
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 4 to 6 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Use an electric mixer to mix the butter on high speed for four to five minutes, or until white and fluffy.
- Add a cup of powdered sugar, one at a time, until combined.
- Add in vanilla extract and heavy whipping cream on low speed.
- Beat on high for five to eight minutes, or until fluffy and full.
- Frost your cake any way you like! To add a touch of Dunkin’, separate the frosting into two bowls and add electric pink and electric orange food coloring to each.
To stay up to date on all things Dunkin’, sign up for our email news alerts at news.dunkindonuts.com/alerts.