Inspired by Dunkin' Donuts' new line of yeast-raised Cocoa Donuts, our Executive Chef Stan Frankenthaler has whipped up a delicious new treat: The Cocoa Donut and Strawberry Grilled Cheese. Simple to prepare, two of the four ingredients required to make this recipe can be picked up at your local Dunkin' Donuts restaurant when you stop in for your morning coffee.
While the new Cocoa Glazed Donut is delicious on its own, Chef Stan takes Dunkin' Donuts reduced fat cream cheese and sliced strawberries to create an easy, yet decadent dessert that's easy for our guests to try at home. The final product is 330 calories (as verified by our in-house R&D team).
So, why does Chef Stan use the Cocoa Glazed Donut vs. one of our other delicious donuts in this recipe? The Cocoa Glazed Donut is a yeast raised chocolate donut, which means that it has a light, airy texture. As a result of that lighter texture, the Cocoa Glazed Donut can take a little heat, which is vital to achieving the slightly crispy outer crust found in a traditional grilled cheese. The only other donut recommended as a "swap" in this recipe would be our traditional glazed donut, which is also a yeast raised donut.
Check out the video of Chef Stan making the Cocoa Donut and Strawberry Grilled Cheese from inside the Dunkin' Donuts Test Kitchen. A copy of the recipe is below.
Cocoa Donut and Strawberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Serves 6-12, depending on whether you're sharing.
- 6 Dunkin’ Donuts Cocoa Donuts
- 6 oz Dunkin’ Donuts Reduced Fat Cream Cheese (Dunkin’ Donuts Reduced Fat Strawberry or Blueberry Cream Cheese works as well)
- 1 Package Fresh Strawberries, Thinly Sliced
- Cooking Spray
- Cut the Dunkin’ Donuts Cocoa Donut in half, creating a top and bottom.
- Placing the cut side down (glazed side on the top), spread 2 Tablespoons (1 oz) of Dunkin’ Donuts Reduced Fat Cream Cheese onto both halves of the donut.
- Slice one large strawberry thinly and place a few slices on top of the Dunkin’ Donuts Reduced Fat Cream Cheese. Top with other half of the donut.
- Coat a fry pan with cooking spray and heat on the stove.
- Once the pan is hot, place the donut sandwich into the pan, and cook for 2 minutes. Then, flip over and continue to cook for another minute until golden.
- Serve warm and share with a fruit salad (optional).