Randolph, MA (October 2, 2002) -- Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! Not to mention Harry Potter, the Powerpuff Girls and Spiderman. Halloween is an annual treat for most kids, but for parents it can be a real jungle out there. Keeping kids safe during the holiday season is a priority for Dunkin' Donuts, which is teaming up with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), to launch the national Mind Your Munchkins Halloween Safety Program, designed to educate parents and kids on important Halloween safety tips.
The Mind Your Munchkins program includes police officer-led safety seminars at elementary schools, community centers and at select Dunkin' Donuts shops. A key tool of the program is a colorful flyer from Dunkin' Donuts (in most areas includes a coupon for a free donut), which contains Halloween safety tips that will be available free at participating Dunkin' Donuts shops in the U.S. Information about the program and how to order materials can be found online at www.dunkindonuts.com*. Some of the tips include:
- All costume elements should be made of flame resistant fabrics, such as nylon and polyester.
- Always accompany your young Munchkins on their trick-or-treating route.
- Costume elements should be light-colored and/or decorated with reflective tape that will glow in the beam of a car's headlights.
- Get creative - create a costume using makeup instead of a mask. If you do use a mask, make sure the eyeholes are large to allow full vision.
- If your older trick-or-treaters go out without an adult, they should always be in a group and you should know their route.
The CPSC was created under the Consumer Product Safety Act and began operating in 1973. It is an Independent Federal Regulatory Agency responsible for helping reduce the risk of death and injury associated with consumer products. Halloween costumes, for example, must meet CPSC's flammability standard for general wearing apparel.
The Mind Your Munchkins program is part of the Dunkin' Donuts WEE CARE: community partnership for children. Introduced in 1998, WEE CARE works with local leaders and individual neighborhoods to protect and nurture the area's youth.
Dunkin' Donuts is the largest coffee and baked goods chain in the world. With 5,000 combined locations in the United States and 35 countries around the world, Dunkin' Donuts has established a worldwide reputation for quality, freshness and convenience. Dunkin' Donuts USA is based in Randolph, Mass., and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Allied Domecq PLC.