CANTON, Mass. (July 30, 2008) -- Dunkin' Donuts, America's favorite everyday, all-day stop for coffee and baked goods, today announced the launch of DDSMART, the brand's first menu of better-for-you options. Labeled with a distinctive new logo, DDSMART menu items include both new and existing Dunkin' Donuts food and beverages that meet at least one of the following criteria: 25% fewer calories; 25% less sugar, fat, saturated fat or sodium than comparable fare, and/or contain ingredients that are nutritionally beneficial. DDSMART branded items will be available in all participating Dunkin' Donuts restaurants nationwide beginning in August.
A highlight of the DDSMART menu is Dunkin' Donuts' new Egg White Flatbread Sandwiches. Dunkin' Donuts is the first national quick service restaurant chain to introduce egg white sandwiches. The DDSMART menu includes two varieties of this innovative item: Turkey Sausage (featuring turkey sausage, spinach and reduced-fat mozzarella cheese) and Veggie (featuring peppers, onions, mushrooms and reduced-fat cheddar cheese). Both are under 300 calories, with nine grams of fat or less, and are served on wholesome toasted multigrain flatbread.
The DDSMART menu includes several other delicious food and beverage choices available all day, including:
- Dunkin' Donuts' famous coffees, lattes and espressos, which can be enjoyed for 70 calories or less when using skim milk and a sugar substitute. Dunkin' Donuts coffee is available in eight flavors, all of which are sugar-free.
- A refreshing Reduced Calorie Berry Smoothie, made with real fruit and low-fat yogurt, which is an excellent source of vitamin C and calcium and has 30% fewer calories and nearly 40% less sugar than a regular Dunkin' Donuts Smoothie.
- Dunkin' Donuts' freshly brewed unsweetened iced tea. A small cup is only five calories, and all flavors are sugar free.
- Coffee Coolatta® made with skim milk, which has zero grams of fat per serving.
- Egg and Cheese, or Ham, Egg & Cheese sandwiches served on an English muffin at 350 calories or less.
- Dunkin' Donuts' Multigrain Bagel, an excellent source of fiber, with eight grams of total fat per serving. Customers can top it off with Dunkin' Donuts' reduced fat flavored cream cheeses.
- Dunkin' Donuts' Reduced Fat Blueberry Muffin.
According to Dunkin' Donuts President and Chief Brand Officer Will Kussell, DDSMART represents an important milestone for the brand. "Understanding what our busy, on-the-go customers want, and constantly innovating to meet those needs is the single biggest reason for our brand's growth and success. Both our customers and franchisees have told us they're looking for a greater breadth of menu choices that include better-for-you options, without compromising quality, taste and value. With DDSMART, we have enhanced our menu to ensure our restaurants offer great-tasting food and beverages that fit any customer's lifestyle," he said.
Dunkin' Donuts has long been working to provide customers with better-for-you food and beverage options. The company began removing artificial trans fat from its menu in 2003 and by 2007 had reformulated its entire menu, becoming the first major quick service restaurant chain to introduce donuts that have zero grams trans fat. Also in 2007, Dunkin' Brands, the parent company of Dunkin' Donuts and Baskin-Robbins, formed a Nutrition Advisory Board comprised of leading nutrition experts, to help the brands stay ahead of health and wellness trends while enhancing the nutritional value of its menu choices.
As part of the brand's commitment to a balanced lifestyle, Dunkin' Donuts has also launched a partnership with Active.com, the leading online community for people who seek ways to incorporate fitness into their everyday lives and make better choices about nutrition and overall health. This fall, 30 Dunkin' Donuts ambassadors in select markets across the country will recruit at least 300 people to run their first 5K road race. Visitors to www.dunkindonuts.com/5KRace can also search for races in their area and access online training guides to help them run better.
For more information about the DDSMART menu, and for nutritional values on other Dunkin' Donuts products, please visit www.dunkindonuts.com.
About Dunkin' Donuts
Founded in 1950, Dunkin' Donuts is America's favorite everyday, all-day stop for coffee and baked goods. Dunkin' Donuts is the #1 retailer of hot and iced regular coffee-by-the-cup in America, and the largest coffee and baked goods chain in the world. Dunkin' Donuts has earned the #1 ranking for customer loyalty in the coffee category by Brand Keys for two years running. The company has more than 7,900 restaurants in 30 countries worldwide. In 2007, Dunkin' Donuts' global system-wide sales were $5.3 billion. Based in Canton, Massachusetts, Dunkin' Donuts is a subsidiary of Dunkin' Brands, Inc. For more information, visit www.dunkindonuts.com.
# # #