CANTON, MA (January 24, 2012) – As the temperatures drop, the popularity of iced coffee is heating up. According to an independent survey commissioned by Dunkin’ Donuts, an overwhelming majority (84%) of iced coffee drinkers claim they are drinking more iced coffee this winter compared to last winter. And, people are turning to ice for more than just a boost to make it through a winter day, as nearly two-thirds feel that iced coffee gives them a mental edge over colleagues at work.
- Winter iced coffee consumption has never been hotter. Eighty-four percent (84%) of respondents say that they are drinking more iced coffee this winter than last winter. Eighty-six percent (86%) of respondents say that they are drinking more iced coffee this winter compared to three winters ago.
- Iced coffee for giving your performance at work a jolt. Seventy-seven percent (77%) of respondents claim that iced coffee makes them feel more productive at work. Nearly two-thirds (64%) of respondents believe that drinking iced coffee gives them a mental edge over their colleagues.
- Iced coffee drinkers savor the flavor. Ninety percent (90%) of respondents go for flavor in their beverage. The most popular choices for flavored iced coffee among survey respondents are French Vanilla (30%), Mocha (27%) and Caramel (21%).
- A midday rush for iced coffee. When do most people crave iced coffee? For iced coffee drinkers responding to the survey, the most popular time of the day is between 10 AM and 2 PM (41%), followed closely by 2 PM to 6 PM (37%).
- Drink cool, feel cool. More than half of respondents (55%) say that they feel cooler and trendier by holding a cup of iced coffee. The percentage increases to 60% among younger iced coffee drinkers, aged 18 to 24.
Dunkin’ Donuts’ survey also examined ways besides iced coffee that people get themselves going and keep themselves running during the winter months. Some of the top responses include:
- Going to the gym (35%)
- Planning a vacation (19%)
- Watching the football playoffs (17%)
- Watching new shows on TV (17%)
- Receiving a tax rebate (12%)
“As the company that serves the most iced coffee in America, we’ve seen iced coffee consumption continue to rise steadily in winter months, with iced coffee now nearly as popular as the classic cup of Dunkin’ Donuts’ hot coffee even during the coldest time of year,” said John Costello, Chief Global Marketing and Innovation Officer at Dunkin’ Brands. “As our survey results show, more and more people recognize iced coffee as the perfect way to gain some extra energy or a mental edge that can be so important for keeping running through the long winter days.”